A child in the subway, Beijing.
Vacationing. It could mean different things for people, depending on the purpose, time, situation. For me this time around, it wasn't so much the sightseeing but trying to understand the people, relating to them, and feeling the history of the land. Not truly grasping their mother language, it almost was a blessing in disguise. I had to truly understand my senses, reading body language, and using eye contact and made-up sign language to communicate with people. It's almost like being a baby again, where everyone around me including myself is struggling, but trying to communicate and learn from each other.
People watching. It's so much more intriguing in a foreign place. Maybe I'm at a point in life where the reality of work is upon me, but I find children are the most curious of subjects. Their ability to live in the present, experience spontaneity, and carry a joyful innocence in their play. Today, it's hard to be a 'child' again without the worries of tomorrow. Worry - something one can choose not to acknowledge, but something that is difficult to ignore. A child's behavior, the look in their eyes, their movements in play - you cannot always understand what they're thinking at that moment in time. I miss those days. That is probably why I love taking photos. Looking through my viewfinder, no one can really understand what I am feeling at that one decisive moment, as I let spontaneity and my present thoughts to take over me.
A child at local market, Shanghai.
Children playing in the water, Shanghai.






fantastic photos, amanda. i love them, and i can't wait to see some more!!! beautiful.
ReplyDelete